Work Permit

If you are looking to work and live in Germany but do not have German citizenship, you will first need a visa to enter the country. You can apply for this visa at the German Federal Foreign Office in your home country. When applying, you must state that you want to work in Germany. It goes without saying that by this time, you should have also received a written job offer from a German employer.

Once you have arrived in Germany, you will need a residence permit for employment purposes. Please contact the immigration service (Ausländerbehörde) for this document. The following documents must be produced to be issued a residence permit:

    • Valid passport and visa
    • Specific job offer
    • Proof that you can financially support yourself
    • Formal recognition of your professional qualification (if required)

There may also not be any deportation documents in connection with your person, and it must be certain that your presence in the country does not endanger or compromise the interests of Germany.

If you are a national or citizen of a state in the European Union, the European Economic Area or Switzerland, you only need validated permission from the employment agency to pursue an occupation in Germany.

Click here for more information on work permits.