Once you have arrived in Biberach, you will not want to leave in a hurry. After all, not only are there plenty of well-paying jobs and friendly people in town, but also countless destinations for short or day trips in the immediate vicinity.

To leverage the full potential of Biberach’s location and explore the neighbouring countries of Switzerland, France, Austria and Italy from here, you will need to have the necessary identification documents. This section informs you which residence titles are available and how you can also take your family to your new home.

Residence title

The term residence title is a collective term for various documents that allow foreigners to stay in Germany for an extended period of time. Different residence titles are possible, depending on the country of origin, qualification and length of stay. The most important permits are explained here.

Residence permit

You can apply for a residence title as soon as you are in Germany. The requirement for this is that you have a valid entry visa and have already specified the reason for your entry in the visa application. A recognised reason for a residence title is that you are looking to work in Germany. Another reason is to bring the family together (reunification).

You must also be able to prove that you can support yourself independently. Normally, you already meet this requirement if you have a specific job offer from a German employer.

The residence title is initially issued for a limited period of time and can either be extended or transitioned to an unlimited settlement permit after this period has lapsed

EU Blue Card

If you are looking to pursue highly qualified employment in Germany, you can apply for the EU Blue Card. This residence title allows you easier access to the settlement permit.

To obtain the EU Blue Card, you must hold a German university degree or a foreign degree that is recognised in Germany. You must also provide proof of a job in Germany that corresponds to your qualifications as well as a minimum salary.

More information about EU Blue Card

Settlement permit

If you are in possession of a settlement permit, you may live and work in Germany for an unlimited period of time.

Foreigners who are looking to live and work in Germany are typically first granted a residence permit. This permit is usually temporary. After this period, you can then apply for a settlement permit.

To acquire a settlement permit, you typically must have already lived in Germany for several years, be able to safeguard your living by yourself, speak German and live in a sufficiently large flat or home (purchased or rented).

EU permit for permanent residency

The EU permit for permanent residency is generally the same as the settlement permit. It does, however, make it easier to move and assume employment in a different EU state. 


The visa is also a valid residence title during your initial days of stay in Germany. You must, however, ensure that you do not exceed the duration of stay specified in the visa and immediately apply for a continuing residence title as required.

Do you have any more questions about the different residence titles in Germany? More information is available here: more Visa informations

You will find a detailed overview of the application process for a residence permit here: Application process

Family reunification

A job is of course very important to feel at home in Biberach. After all, it gives you regular income and allows you to meet friendly colleagues who make it easier for you to “get settled”, invite you to play sports after work or go on a little outing over the weekend.

Wouldn't it be even nicer, however, if you yourself were not just invited, but your entire family? Biberach indeed has a lot to offer families. In addition to the good educational system, the many playgrounds and wide range of sports and leisure activities allow families to live here in a relaxed setting in the countryside while still benefiting from a short hop to work.

Attractive job offers for your partner can be found here or enquired about in a personal interview at the “Jobcenter Biberach” (Job-Center Biberach). The Volkshochschule Biberach (adult education centre in Biberach) is always available to assist you in choosing suitable language courses in your area as well as other integration offers. Learn about about what is currently available here

What are you waiting for? Bring your family to Biberach and find a new home ─ together!

Reunification of family members within the EU

If both you and your partner are EU citizens, you can bring your family along with you.

Upon entry, your partner and children will need to furnish a valid identity card and proof of health insurance coverage.

Reunification of family members from a non-EU country

If you live in Germany and want to bring your family from a non-EU country, you will need to meet the following requirements:


To bring your spouse, you must have a valid residence permit (temporary) or a valid settlement permit (permanent). Your income must also be sufficiently high that you can financially provide for your spouse as well. The same applies to your living quarters, which must be large enough to accommodate two individuals.

Your spouse must be of age and have a working knowledge of German so that he or she can successfully go to the grocery store or purchase a bus ticket, for example. Nationals from Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, the Republic of Korea, New Zealand or the United States do not need to very that they have basic German language skills.

As soon as your spouse arrives in Germany, he or she may engage in active employment.

Good to know:
The same rules also apply to lesbian and gay couples who have obtained official confirmation of their partnership.


If you want to bring your children to Germany, you can do this without meeting further requirements so as long as your children are under a certain minimum age.

If your children already exceed this age, one of the following three conditions must be fulfilled:

  • Your child arrives in Germany shortly after you do
  • Your child can verify fluency in German (C1 level)
  • Your child attended a German-language school abroad or grew up in a German-speaking household in an EU country

Additional information on subsequent immigration of family members can be found here